Visiting Your Bristol Dentist
How often should you visit your Bristol dentist? What happens at check-ups? Find out why regular visits to your Bristol dental practice are a core part of keeping your teeth and gums healthy.
When should I start visiting my Bristol dentist?
Everyone should visit the dentist regularly. If you haven’t seen a dentist in the past year and your dentist hasn’t given any instructions on when you next need to visit, make an appointment now.
Children should start visiting the dentist once their baby teeth start to appear – make their first appointment before their first birthday.
How often should I visit the dentist?
Most people need to visit the dentist twice a year. Sometimes teeth need a little more regular care (and sometimes less) so when you visit our Bristol dental surgery we’ll tell you whether you should visit every 6 months or more or less frequently.
What happens when I visit the dentist?
There are two parts to every check-up: the check-up itself, and the cleaning.
• During the check-up our Bristol dentists will check for cavities, plaque or tartar on your teeth.
• We’ll then check your gums to ensure they show no signs of gum disease.
• Finally, we will check your tongue, throat and neck to ensure there are no irregularities or swellings that could suggest infection or disease.
• If tartar has built up on your teeth you won’t be able to remove it by brushing. We will remove any tartar in a process known as ‘scaling’ using tools called scalers.
• Once we’ve finished scaling your teeth they will usually be polished using a gritty paste and a high speed polishing tool. This helps remove some of the discolouration your toothbrush may not have been able to shift.
What should I do between visits to my Bristol dentist?
It’s important to care for your teeth every day. That way you’ll enjoy healthier teeth and gums and need less treatment when you visit our Bristol dental surgery.
• Brush twice a day
• Use a toothpaste with fluoride
• Brush for two minutes, and remember to clean every surface of your teeth: fronts, backs and tops.
• Spit but don’t rinse – let the toothpaste do its work
• Clean the areas between your teeth with dental floss
• Use a mouthwash – it helps reduce plaque bacteria and keeps your breath fresh
Call 0117 9586 878
We’d love to treat you and your family. To book an appointment please call us or complete the form below.